Sunday, November 15, 2009

Veterans Day

We observed Remembrance Day at Church this morning. We transfered it from last Sunday for various reasons. But last Sunday since I had a service at Belmont House (a local retirement home) I went ahead and observed Remembrance day with them, too. I found myself getting more emotional than I expected as I preached to a room-full of old ladies. Among other things, I noted that they had much more to say about war and sacrifice than I did.

Anyway, I saw this remarkable photo and thought I would post it. When's the last time you saw a U.S. President allow himself to be photographed with the remains of a fallen soldier? These repatriation ceremonies are really difficult for everyone involved, as I heard first hand from a Canadian Chaplain a few weeks ago. They have to rotate the responsibility among the participants because it's so emotionally difficult.

"From left, U.S. President Barack Obama, Assistant Judge Advocate General of the U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Daniel V. Wright and Brig. Gen. Michael S. Repass, commanding general of U.S. Army Special Operations Command, render honors as a team of Soldiers carry the remains of Sgt. Dale R. Griffin during a dignified transfer ceremony at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware on October 29, 2009. Griffin, who was assigned to 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, was killed in action on October 27, 2009, by a roadside bomb in the Kandahar province of Afghanistan. UPI/Jason Minto/U.S. Air Force" (source)


-t

No comments: