Thursday, June 3, 2010

House Husband

My parental leave started on Sunday afternoon after church. Of course, that didn't exactly mean that work stopped right away. I still had to move a bunch of stuff out of my office (my computer, some unfinished work files, etc.) to set up a home office for the summer. If I were a better person I would simply walk away, but I'm afraid that my to-do list is just a little too daunting! For example, if we are going to send out a fundraising appeal letter this summer, then I need to write it!

But the main work this summer is, naturally, taking care of little Henry. He's been a champ. His routine is a pretty simple 2 hour cycle. When he wakes up from his nap, he gets changed and fed. Then he's pretty alert and happy for a while. He likes to roll around on the floor or be held or play with blankie. Sometimes, if he seems bored, I'll put him in the "Circle of Neglect" (which is a bouncy chair thing with lots of activities that make noise and flash lights and things when he plays with them). Then after about two hours have elapsed he starts to get tired and a bit cranky. The naps that follow are typically about 20 minutes (though he sometimes has a longer nap in the afternoon) and everything starts again.

One of my concerns has been about how much I will actually be able to get done while taking care of Henry. So far... a surprising amount. The key is to use the 20 minute nap times efficiently to do the stuff that can't be done with him in hand. Taking a shower, for example. But then there are a lot of things that can be managed with one hand (the other holding the baby). And then there are lots of times when he is content to simply be near me while I'm paying attention to something else.

So far I've been able to get things done. I've taken him grocery shopping and to the liquor store and with me to meetings and lots other activities. No problem. To mow the lawn I simply strapped him to my chest with a Baby Bjorn and got to work.

He seems to be pretty happy with it. He enjoys new things and places. And random people occasionally want to get a close look at him.

So the first week of being a house husband has gone extremely well, thanks for asking!

-t

3 comments:

Jamie & Lauren said...

Hey Tay,
Sounds great! My wife and I are expecting our first child this November. Really exciting. I lost it when I read "circle of neglect."
Jamie

Tay Moss said...

Don't underestimate how funny having a baby can be. Lots of humour. Babies are incredibly entertaining.

Daniel said...

I think it is great that you are doing this! I have to admit, it will be strange not having you at COTM for the summer... but it is a worthwile cause! And hopefully we can grab a pint or something at some point.
Happy House Husbanding!!!