Thursday, February 22, 2007

Blog-o-matic

Well, I finally did it.... I created a blog. I've been thinking about doing this for a long time, and finally it took three things to push me over the edge. First, my spiritual director, Bede Mudge, started a blog. I figure, if my friend the monk can do it, so can I. The second thing was that my wife starting bugging me to start a blog--probably because she is tired of hearing me tell her things that I should probably be telling other people, anyway.

The person that really through me over the edge, though, was Henry David Thoreau. Lately I've been re-reading Walden. I'm convinced that it is an American masterpiece of spirituality. It struck me that way the first two times I read it, as well: in high school and then in college. Thoreau simply reaches out toward the divine.

What else is there? Quite a lot, actually. I find it incredibly easy to distract myself with all kinds of seemingly important tasks. And unlike the things that kept Thoreau busy around Walden, my tasks seem more sisyphean. I spent most of Ash Wednesday in tasks related to the Parkdale Deanery initiative. The website is now looking pretty good. Getting the search function working required learning some new Perl tricks. I also created a postcard to promote my church's music program. Then I had a little time to practice my music for the Ash Wednesday Solemn Mass at SMM. Kind of a tricky liturgy, in a way, because we do it only once a year. The Mass itself went well enough. And that was my day until I managed to get home around 9 p.m.

Or this Lent I'm hoping to follow Thoreau's example and look for what is true and essential in life. This may lead me back to editing perl code and donig ad layouts, or it may not. Only one way to find out!

-t

No comments: