Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Yacht Rock

Jack (aka "Topper Dandy"), my roommate for two years at Hampden-Sydney, has a hilarious music project: Three Sheets to The Wind. They play Yacht Rock--think Steely Dan, Magnum PI, and Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Also think boat shoes, gin, and white chinos. Got it?

Back in college Jack and some other friends had a band called "Where the Sidewalk Ends." I was their "Spiritual Advisor" (I'm credited in the liner notes)--which also meant I was a kind of a Roadie. It was a blast. We went to a lot of parties. Drank a lot of free beer. Learned a lot about sound engineering, too.

Anyway, Jack is very skillful on the guitar and currently lives in Richmond, VA. It's been a few years since I've seen him, but a few days before I saw this clip I had a strange dream about him....



Good times; good times.

-t

No comments: