Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Preaching Life

I was on the hook to preach today, a task made slightly more complicated than usual by my father's arrival in town. This his first trip to Toronto and one of the few times he has been able to visit me on my turf. Because he lives in Hawai'i, it often makes much more sense to go there for reunions.

He came into town and then managed to get a severe cold (or flu?). That meant that my normal routine for engaging the week's texts was confused. I also was prevented from doing much work on my sermon during the week by the extra load of work occassioned by Fr Harold's absence from the parish on a short vacation. So I ended up getting up at 5:15 a.m. Sunday morning to do my preaching prep then. I won't say that I wrote a sermon. Instead I meditated ont the texts for a few hours, read what some other people had done, kicked around a few ideas, and then threw myself on the mercy of the Holy Spririt. I love the Holy Spirit, she's always helping me out of jams.

So, the sermons turned out just fine, and I'm looking forward to a well-earned day off!

-t

No comments: