Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Canning Craze

A year ago Betsy and I canned some pickled Hot Peppers that have been a wonderful treat to have on hand since them. As the last jar is almost finished, we decided to do it again this year. We picked up some peppers last weekend at the St. Lawrence Street Market and I pickled and canned them last night. We still have lots of home canning supplies left and all the equipment, so I'm thinking that this year we should experiment with more canning.

I'm particularly keen on trying to can our own tomato sauce as well as some fruit. The directions online make it appear easy but time-consuming. It takes something like four hours to cook down a good tomato sauce--but if you do it in large batches than you have lots of wonderful, inexpensive sauce for quick dishes.

So while I was looking around the Internet I found a wonderful blog called Seasonal Ontario Food. This blogger has lots of recipes and information about food available in the Farmers' Markets here. Her list of fruits and vegetables by month is particularly helpful.

-t

No comments: