Thursday, May 10, 2007

Legacy

Lately, as I think about my departure from SMM this summer, I've been worried about the long-term prospects of some of my projects here. It's a question of legacy. Who will take over my projects when I am gone? Particularly I'm thinking of the website and the audio recording of the services and a few other similar items. I'm simply not sure there is anyone in the congregation with the combinations of technical skill and commitment to pull it off. For example, right now I am the one who records both the 9.30 and 11 o'clock services. It may be possible to get the Gallery Choir to commit to recording the 11, but what about the 9.30? And the problem goes beyond simply hitting the button to start it and again to stop it. Someone has to transfer those files onto a computer and edit them and put the relevant parts (especially the sermon) on the web.

In my mind I imagine that this will probably slip by the wayside for a while. Some of the sermons and motets may be recorded and posted--but perhaps not all. Sigh. One of the lessons in this is that program initiatives of this sort are delicate in church. Another is that programs that rely on skills that the clergy bring to the position will only last as long as the pastorate.

I wish I could say that as my initiatives fall aside my successor will start news based on his or her skills. Alas, that is not to be since I will be replaced by a very part-time person who will be mostly occupied with liturgy.

Anyway, it's another thing for me to fret over until I have the spiritual maturity to let it go.

-t

No comments: