Sunday, January 20, 2008

Dear Anonymous...

My last post elicited an incredibly angry response from some reader who refuses to reveal himself or herself--so I've exercised the right to moderate comments and deleted it. I may repost it later to comment on it, but basically the writer thinks that my choice to observe MLK was the evidence of a kind of trendiness that is not theologically orthodox enough. I wouldn't mind someone making such an argument in a reasonably civil way, but the pure venom of it was simply unworthy of Christian community.

Christians can have arguments, but I'm not going to spar with someone who doesn't have the moral courage to reveal his or her identity. It seems to me that this person is more interested in making me look stupid than engaging in a real conversation--so I've disabled anonymous comments and will screen comments before they appear on this blog in the future.

So if this person wants to have a grown up conversation, then I'll discuss why I thought recognizing a 20th Century Martyr (who has a statue in Westminster Abbey, of all bastions of Anglicanism) was liturgically justified. Otherwise, keep it to yourself!

-t

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I use to work in the United States and we kept MLK Sunday every year with two hymns that were written for the occasion which are now published by Church Publishing.

I only wish that the church could be more accepting of liturgical commemorations found outside a little maroon coloured book or even a green book.

Thank you for keeping the Sunday. One must remember that there were Canadians who participated in the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s, and there were clergy (of which one is a friend) who marched with MLK.

All I can say is that I hope anonymous had a good Septugesima Sunday!

Tay Moss said...

Yes, and I'll note that I did use the Propers of the Day for Epiphany II (Collect, readings, etc.), but commemorated MLK with hymn choices and sermon content, so again I was well within the norms.

Yes, many Canadians participated in the Civil Rights movement. I even have a parishioner that was there at the march on Washington!

-t

G said...

If you'll let me have a crack at it, I may be able to identify your antagonist.

Tay Moss said...

Thanks, Geoff, but I'm pretty sure I know who it is. But I'm also reasonably certain that confronting him would accomplish little. This is not a person interesting in spiritual growth--he believes he already has all the answers....

-t