Thursday, January 10, 2008

Gradual Progress

This morning started out with a sparsely attended service at Belmont House (one of the local retirement homes). I'm very concerned about the fact that we get such a low turnout (2-4 people) while the other Anglican churches that do midweek services there get a very high turn out (more like 30). Unfortunately, after my predecessor left COTM, one of the priests that did ministry on the church's behalf drove a lot of people away. I think the only way I can save this service is just to be myself and be patient and hope people start coming back. Sigh.

For lunch I met with the Rector of one the cardinal parishes in the area. He's a nice guy with a thriving ministry. He had some good insights and advice to offer--most of it stuff I've already been thinking about--yet it's nice to have your ideas validated and nuanced by people wiser than yourself. He told me that things are going to get both much harder and more rewarding in the next few years--that sounds right. I should not expect fast results. I had the blue cheese salad. Yum.

Susy B. stopped by with the sketches in my previous post. I'm very happy about that--these things are coming along.

Some of the administrative issue that were the bane of my existence earlier in the week have been moved forward, that means I can address some of the other urgent projects and people that need my attention for the rest of today.

-t

2 comments:

G said...

I had the privilege of assisting at what you might call a Liturgy of the Word and Administration of Holy Communion at Belmont House last month. The room we occupied was packed - two or three times the usual turnout, I was told. Apparently we have one or two parishioners living there who spread the word.

And having visited both my mother and my late great-grandmother in Dickensian long-term care facilities, can I just say that I want to die at Belmont.

Tay Moss said...

Yeah, Belmont is pretty nice, but you should check out Hazelton Place sometime! That place is unbelievable....
-t