Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ordinations

Church this morning was good--but I was made aware of how much work I have to do. For instance, I have to revamp the way COTM does acolytes. I have to train some of them to assist me at the altar. I'm also anxious to make progress on hiring someone to help redesign our Sunday School curriculum. After the service a bunch of volunteers and I worked on taking down the Christmas decorations. That whole process went well and I was impressed with how much we were able to do in only a few hours.

In the late afternoon I went to the Priesting of a friend of mine, Jason Van Veghelwood. Ordinations leave you feeling really good about the church, and I enjoyed the chance to take part in such an intense and personal liturgy. As I felt the intensity I noted, in my mind, that that kind of feeling is rare in Anglican liturgy. But I have seen it in, for instance, healing prayer eucharists. However, why aren't baptisms or marriages so prayerful as ordinations feel?

On another tangent, right now I'm thinking about something that makes me very sad, but I can't stop thinking about it, either. That means I'm not finished processing it. This kind of internal work sucks--I mean who wants to think about sad things? Yet the coolest water is always at the bottom of the well.

-t

No comments: