Friday, November 7, 2008

Annual Review

Yesterday I had my annual review with Bishop Yu. All the priests in the Diocese meet yearly with their bishop to touch base on how things are going and discuss various things. I thought that those who haven't been through it might be curious about what's involved.

First off, before the meeting I completed a two page questionnaire that asked me about what successes and challenges stand out from the last year. I was also asked to identify both personal and professional goals for the next year. When I arrived for my meeting with the Bishop he had already read the form and simply asked me to talk about whatever was on my mind. I told him about some of the changes that COTM has been through in the last year. I told him about the things that surprised me, the things that delighted me, and also the things that trouble me. He listened and gave his considered advice. He said he was pleased by everything that was going and that it sounded like we were on the right track.

Since the Bishop is really my pastor, we also discussed my own spiritual life and some of things happening for me personally. Again, he gave me some advice and expressed his support. The meeting was a little over and hour and ended with us praying for each other and for the church. I must say, it's unusual these days for someone to really pray for me one-on-one--usually I'm the one praying. People pray for me, of course, but rarely with me and about me in a detailed kind of way. So having the bishop do so felt very good. It made me realize that I've been missing this.

The whole experience was a nice way to take a pause and think about where I've been and how things are going. When I sit down and list everything going on it's pretty overwhelming. Yet I think I'm making the right moves--even when the move is to be patient and wait. So it goes!

-t

No comments: