Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Noticing

Note the words on the embroidered cushions: "Then Moses said, 'I must turn aside and look at this.'"


At this morning's Contemplative Eucharist I was struck, again, by how much that service can change week-to-week. This morning I noticed (and then let go of) the fact that my voice was calmer and softer and the words came easier than usual. Someone commented afterwards that it felt "graceful" to him. I also noted that after I received Eucharist my body seemed to feel different. I've noticed this before, but I'm not sure to what degree this is simply a by product of eating and drinking that I simply have never noticed before, or whether it is something related to the special properties of the sacrament. I'm also not sure that this peculiarly Western and Modern kind of inquiry about the cause of the feeling is particularly useful. The simple fact is that when I consume the sacrament I feel a change in my body (if I'm ready to notice it, that is).

Incidentally, the Bishop approved continuing to use this experimental rite when I saw him last week. So I think in Advent I may offer it on Saturdays or some other time more convenient to working folks.

-t

2 comments:

Felicity Pickup said...

re picture: too much junk!

I'd imagined your set-up for your contemplative rite to be less "fussy."

But I know one needs a minumum of hardware for a celebration. And I don't know why I assumed that this rite would have a stripped down stage set-up as well as stripped down verbiage. All I can see in the picture that seem really fussy to me are the diptych and the red cloth. Candle and incense are normal extras.

But I'm not in your congregation. So, if any of this congregation are reading this blog, I don't mean to offend by expressing my taste in holy hardware.

Unknown said...

I am a friend of William Brown. His group of writing friends would like him to know that he is in our thoughts. We are so sorry about the loss of Mt. Calvary, but grateful that all the Brothers are safe. Please could you let him know. Thank you.