Sunday, September 16, 2007

Holy Cross

On Holy Cross day I went back to SMM for a farewell mass. It was a rainy night, and the sound of the rain on the roof and coming through the open clerestory was quite romantic. I preached a solid sermon that people liked. At the offertory Stephanie Martin premiered a beautiful piece dedicated to me. Matthew (COTM's Director of Music) was impressed and wants to do it here, too. I was quite moved by the music and almost missed the moment when they cense the lady chapel. There were a lot more people than expected--so many that we nearly ran out of bread at the service and definitely ran out of chairs at the potluck! Rob Castle said some nice things about me and presented me a purple stole as a gift from the parish. I also got to say some things.

It was great to see everyone, but I definitely felt as though I had already moved out. No doubt the general busy-ness of COTM has contributed that feeling.

Worship this morning at COTM went well. We are starting to get a bit more dialed-in. The chancel guild even "vested" the chalice in a more traditional manner for me--though the corporal wasn't folded quite correctly, yet. No worries, we have years to get it perfect and there are many other things that are of larger concern. For example we have a big meeting of the "Corporation" (Wardens + Clergy) on Tuesday. Many things to discuss and decide.

Now it's time for some football!

-t

No comments: