Friday, September 14, 2007

Look at my Ministry and Fear Me

Thanks to all of those concerned about my safety, but today I climbed most of the way to the top without encountering much risk. The first three stages of the ascent look and feel pretty safe. Essentially, the first two-stories are climbed by aluminum ladders which are wedged against the mortar work on platforms that are held in place by thick wood joists that run into the walls of the tower. They are also lashed in place to prevent them from slipping out of place should lateral forces of some kind come into play. The tallest of these (second stage) is about 20 feet. By the third or forth time I was feeling very confident about the security of the ladders. And even if I did fall it would just be to the platform below.

The third stage is a short (~10') wooden ladder made with 3"X5"'s and nailed together. It looks and feels solid, and I was aware that even if it did fail completely I only had a relatively short fall to the platform below. I got to the top of this third stage, but didn't go onto the platform since I couldn't fit through the opening in the platform with by backpack with cameras in it. Next time I'll take a rope with me and pull the bag up once I'm through. I could see, however, that the third stage is as far as it goes for internal ladders. From there a door leads out to the roof of the belltower. I don't know how you get from there to the parapet, perhaps you simply bring a ladder (or hoist one up from the ground along the outside of the tower). Anyway, the flag pole on the parapet is Phase II. Here are the pictures from Phase I....

Bell with the words "Sheldon Was Here 2003" written in black permanent marker.
(Andrew) Sheldon was the last Incumbent before me.

The third-stage wooden ladder with the platform above. The top of this ladder was as far as I cared to go today.

Doesn't that warm your Anglican heart? The flag pole on the very top will be the next to get fixed

Dave B. will be very pleased with this development....

-t

2 comments:

Sandford MacLean said...

I realize the Anglican Church is in a crisis, but isn't it a bit too much to lower the flag to half mast, and fly it upside down?

Kind regards,
Sandford MacLean
Louisville, Kentucky

Tay Moss said...

Lol! I get no love...

-t