Monday, March 17, 2008

Gym Update

When Lent began I made a commitment to go start going to the gym. Since we are coming to the end of the penitential season (but not the end of my commitment) it's worth a quick update...

So I've been going to the gym for the last several weeks. I must admit that I haven't fallen into a really good, predictable pattern, but I go when I can. One of the results has been a been a shift in my metabolism. I find that I need to eat frequently or else my blood sugar will get way out of wack. Once I became physically ill after skipping breakfast and having a late dinner. So now I keep a granola bar in the glove compartment of the car just in case.

The first few times I went to the gym I had a lot of soreness afterwards--but now my muscles will get tired and weak, but they don't feel horribly sore anymore. I can't say I've noticed a huge change in strength, but my endurance has definitely improved even in just a few weeks.

As for weight, I was told not to expect much change for the first few months since my workouts are designed to build muscle, not simply burn more calories than I am consuming, yet I have lost about seven pounds, which is good. With more muscle comes more burning of calories, and so the weight loss should happen gradually if I keep up the workouts.

I do feel that I would benefit from some personal training--specifically because a trainer could create some good, balanced routines for me. perhaps next month I could try that.

I haven't enrolled in any fitness classes, per se, but I did notice that they are starting a Brazilian Ju Jitsu class at my gym, so I may try that and see how it goes. Brazilian Ju Jitsu is really designed for dueling and involves a lot of wrestling on the ground trying to get your opponent into locks and holds. It can be absolutely exhausting. I learned some of this back when I was studying Karate so intensely in High School, so it might be a lot of fun to get those juices flowing again.

Anyway, life is good. I feel better for having gone to the gym (went today, in fact), and hopefully I can keep that up.

-t

No comments: