Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Holy Week

Well, we are about to tip over the edge of Holy Week into the down-hill slide towards the resurrection. I find that this is usually a very difficult time of the year. Even before I worked in the church, I found that the last few days before the Triduum bleak. The weird thing is that it seems to be something in the whole universe that makes it feel that way, not merely my own interior goings-on. I remember the Lent I spent at Holy Cross many years ago when I had a big tiff with another resident of the monastery. It was really a silly little argument that we resolved the next day, but it fit with the whole depressing mood of the place and we went deep into Good Friday. Yuck. And as recently as last year I felt terrible at this time. This year I'm not feeling particularly good, either. I'm sick of the snow and sick of Lent and tired and blah, blah, blah. Easter can't come fast enough.

Today I worked a bunch of minor projects, including sorting through a bunch of old e-mail and having lunch with a colleague from a nearby church. Of course we talked about church and evangelism and mission and all that good stuff. We each went away having learned something new, which is exactly what I think we were both hoping for.

In particular, she mentioned something called "MOPS"--Mothers of Preschoolers. It's an ministry designed to meet the needs of young families by providing a place for mothers to gather and share community. From their website:
A MOPS group is a dynamic, inviting environment where women can come-just as they are to build friendships, be encouraged and gain practical parenting strategies. All while their children are lovingly cared for in the MOPPETS program.

What makes MOPS outreach approach unique?
At MOPS International, we believe in the model of lifestyle evangelism - that through meeting the needs of women, we demonstrate the love of Jesus for them in the following ways:

* Teaching and encouraging women about issues that are relevant to their stages of life
* Sharing our faith through actions and the way we live
* Taking the opportunity at least twice a year to present the gospel

How will I see MOPS directly impact growth in my church?
Moms who normally wouldn’t go to church will often join a MOPS group. In this season of early mothering, the need for practical help and spiritual hope, provides the chartering church with an opportunity to meet the long-term needs of the mom and her family. Through practical experience and training, MOPS gives women opportunities to develop their leadership skills to go on to serve in leadership positions in their churches, communities and places of work.


Intriguing, heh? I'll float some trial balloons with some of the mothers in the parish and see what they think of this.

-t

No comments: