Sunday, March 2, 2008

Helping

Today I had an encounter with a person that I could help. I have known this person for some years, and today she needed my help. It happened that I was in a position, as her priest, to help her in several ways simultaneously, and that made me feel really good. This kinds of pastoral encounters are so precious--they keep you going. Interestingly, she spoke to me about the Kingdom of God--which is a theological concept I've been thinking a lot about lately. The Spirit, IMHO, at this time seems to telling the Church to build Kingdom communities and lead people to be disciples ready to imitate Christ. I know, that sounds like something the Spirit is always saying to the Church, but when I look at the emerging Christian movements as well as the successful mission initiatives of inherited-church traditions, I see a renewed emphasis on Kingdom and Christ-likeness.

Anyway, it's just neat to be able to exercise Pastoral Ministry in a way that you know helps people in big, big ways.

-t

No comments: