Sunday, April 20, 2008

Back From HCM

Ok, I'm back. Funny how even just three days can really rejuvenate the spirit. I came back to Toronto Saturday evening and had enough energy to even sow some grass seed in the yard and BBQ dinner. The weather has been incredible both in Toronto and West Park.

One of the things I did on this trip was take Bede out for a delicious birthday supper (his, not mine). We ended up going to a restaurant in the Catskills named Peekamoose. We each had an incredible Charred tomato bisque, followed by sauteed Hudson Valley shad roe. Then Bede had another fish (was it salmon? I can't remember) while I had a very nice oven-roasted rabbit. For dessert: flourless chocolate cake for me and some kind of cheese confection for Bede (again, I can't remember the name). All matched with a nice wine, of course. As is our custom, we spent the first hour sipping single malts and talking before we even opened the menus.

One of the interesting things about Peekamoose is that despite the very sophisticated food, the place is no trace of pretension. The owner's kids were trailing around after her, and that just completed the affect of an excellent but-low key affair. Yum.

And yes, there was time for profound moments at the monastery, too. I particularly felt the tug of the eternal while watching the river flow.

You know, I have been coming to Holy Cross Monastery for over ten years! Amazing. And always the place has new mysteries to reveal. This weekend I was noticing how much I loved the silences. I've been living long enough in a city that the silence of a monastery in the country is shocking.

-t

No comments: