Monday, April 7, 2008

The Yard

Today I supervised the installation of the new cooktop to replace the one that broke several weeks ago. About time! It's been incredibly inconvenient to be without a stove top for more than a month! Of course, the guy who came to do the installation was only prepared for the simplest contingencies. But this situation was a bit more complicated, but my Dremel tool made short work out of the problem (some plywood blocking a bolt). There were other minor issues, as well, but nothing is easy, heh? At least two out of the four burners work, the other two need a missing parts.

The search for those two parts led me from Canadian Tire to Home Depot to Sears to a special Sears parts department in the middle of no-where. Along the way I picked up a patio umbrella, an outdoor storage box, and a few other odds and ends. Of course, Sears doesn't have the parts I need for another week. Sigh. I can't say I'm very impressed with Sears at the moment.

Once home, I spent a few hours doing yard work with Betsy. We made some good progress on raking up leaves and other yard waste (five bags worth). I also set up the furniture on the patio, etc. We rewarded ourselves with some scalloped potatoes, coleslaw, and a steak. Of course I barbecue old school, with charcoal. Delicious. Sitting on the deck with the barbecue going and a four-olive Martini in my hand after some hard work with my hands--bliss...

-t

1 comment:

Felicity Pickup said...

re "the guy who came ... was only prepared for the simplest contingencies." And I thought it was only my landlord's workmen who showed up ill-prepared! My more memorable incidents as tenant were lending a pencil & a ladder to a carpenter and showing a super how to get the sash window out of its frame before he dismantled the whole assembly. And then there's the usual task of explaining the layout of the appartment, because the built layout is different from the plans they have archived.

re "barbeque with charcoal." Glad it's not my open windows that are catching the smoke as it rises. I have enough to put up with from the BBQ on the roof of a nearby condo. But no doubt you're a very careful barbequer!

But glad that you're sounding better overall!