Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bike Theft

Someone stole my bike from my back yard. They had to go though the gate to get to it and normally the gate is padlocked from the inside since the thefts we experienced a few months ago. But I forgot to put the pad lock back in place after using the gate to do some yard work. Normally I lock my bike up, but there was no place to conveniently lock it without pulling it up onto the deck. Sigh.

Interestingly, the guy also took the padlock itself, which was sitting on a ledge next to the gate with the key still in it. Sigh.

So now I need to report this to the police. Not that there is much hope that they will find it. It wasn't a super expensive bike (I got it on-sale almost three years ago), but it was mine and I liked it. I had just taken it out from under it's winter tarp and put air in the tires. Sigh.

This incident also just reminds me that we really need to be vigilant about the security of our home. If I owned the place, I'm sure I would put in some alarms and maybe even cameras.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get another bike anytime soon. It might be nice, but finances are a little tight as we look towards possible Summer travel.

-t

2 comments:

Felicity Pickup said...

Aw...shit! And double that sentiment re the flashback!!

By the way, are you the only tenant in this building? Sounds like you have someone nearby living off thefts from neighbours.

Tay Moss said...

It's a semi-attached house. The second half in split into three apartments. Yes, I suspect that maybe someone that sweeps through the area looking for unlocked doors/gates.

-t