Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Excellence" in Ministry

Tuesdays are always a bit hectic for me. Since it is the first day since the Thursday previous that we are all in the office at one time, there is much to coordinate and talk about. Today's staff meeting was two productive hours of going over various projects in various stages. We made a bunch of decisions and plans, however, and that feels satisfying. But now I have a half-page to-do list! Ahhgg!

At this point I feel like I'm just about getting done all the things that I need to get done in a day to maintain a pretty high-level of functioning in the priestly role. If I had some more help--a couple of students, perhaps--I could do some more really excellent stuff. For example, I haven't had time to do a lot of video editing, yet. I have the tools and the footage, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and edit some stuff together. Essential stuff is, well, essential! And I find that I can fill my days quite easily with the stuff that really "needs" to get done.

This goes to the difference between being "good" and being "excellent" in the craft of ministry. I know, some people are allergic to that kind of language when applied to ministry, but I find it reflects my experience, at least. There are times when you are doing what's necessary or what's good to do, but then there are times when you are doing that extra bit that is special.

Another example of where I could have more "excellence" in my priestly work is study. I don't spend enough time in study these days. I do manage to get some time studying scripture in preparation for the Sunday Sermon, but there is more for me to study than that. I have whole books on church architecture, for instance, that could come in very handy as we do this renovation work. There also books on Mission that I want to plow through. I can rattle of a dozen other subjects that I need to get smart about.

Yet I also refuse to allow the quest to do "excellent" ministry cause me to get out of balance. At SMM I used to pull late nights to do particularly challenging projects (at least a few a month)--but here at COTM I know when to quit. That means that lots of times I leave things on my desk undone, but it's a hell of a lot more healthy than the works-righteousness approach of most workaholics. The weird thing is, I feel a lot more productive with my time now. The work gets done! And yet part of me still yearns to achieve the "excellence" that would come from reading a dozen books on liturgical architecture or New Testament or hymnody.

Being at peace with the work that can be done, rather than fretting about what could be done, is a real spiritual grace. Benedictines are good at that, or, at least they try to be! Work as spiritual discipline--it's a fascinating and under-explored subject. Hmmm. I should preach about that sometime soon.

-t

1 comment:

Felicity Pickup said...

"Work as spiritual discipline"
Wow, a thought! Thanks, Tay, for moving my thoughts on work (doing some,in my case)out of vaguely guilty dithering mode.