Sunday, June 29, 2008

Pride Parade

I marched in the Gay Pride Parade today. It was a real blast. I didn't realize it would be so much fun. Lots of Anglicans to march with. Someone even brought sashes to wear that read "Proud Anglicans." I marched with a handful of clergy and about 20 or 30 lay folks and one Archbishop (Terry Finlay). Before we marched he asked me some questions about Messiah, a parish he knows relatively well. When David Miller (the Mayor--a good Anglican) went by us with the city council he gave us a hearty wave and pointed the Archbishop with a look of recognition. As we went across Bloor and then down Yonge Street our float got lots of cheers and waves from well wishers. I was shocked by how many people were lining the route. Apparently the Toronto Gay Pride parade attracts a tonne of people from all over the region.

But the walk was also exhausting--I spent something like 4 1/2 hours on my feet. I didn't think ahead enough to bring water, but I did remember my camera and took plenty to interesting shots. I'll post a few the next time I'm in the office.

Worship was good. People got a kick out of singing "God Save the Queen" and "O Canada" (in honour of Canada Day tomorrow). I preached about leadership, borrowing heavily from Judy Paulsen's presentation but adding a dash of Edwin Friedman for good measure. We talk about he "priesthood of all believers" frequently enough, but about the "Apostleship of all believers"?

-t

No comments: