Tuesday, February 24, 2009

In Praise of Kozlik's Mustard


My brother-in-law asked me what Kozlik's mustard was. I shake my head sadly. It's not his fault--he doesn't live in Toronto and he certainly doesn't go to the St. Lawrence Street Market...

I'll quote from the Market's website about Kozlik's....
Kozlik’s Mustard was established in 1948. Jeremy has owned the business since 2000 and has expanded the product line. Did you know that 90% of the world’s mustard is grown in Canada? Or that mustard is the second most popular spice in the world next to black pepper? Their website has many interesting facts, useful information and recipes for mustards.

Kozlik’s Mustard presents many unique flavours of mustards, all made fresh in Canada, in their factory located at Lawrence and Avenue Road in Toronto. They use fresh, all-natural mustard powder, seeds and cracked seeds in the manufacturing process; no preservatives added. From these three bases they create an amazing variety of flavoured mustards. Some of their most popular mustard varieties are: maple, balsamic, fig & date, "Double C" Dijon, horseradish, cranberry and honey. They have over 35 flavours of mustards and are developing more.

On Saturdays they offer sample tasting of their mustard flavours with complimenting meat samples for customers to experience. (source)


It's one of the things I almost always do when I'm at the St. Lawrence Street Market--go up to the mustard stand and try some super hot mustards with a bit of P-Meal Bacon. Yum. Luckily you don't have to go down to the market to get Kozlik's--it's available in my local grocery store.

Good mustard can really transform a sandwich, IMHO. Of course, my brother-in-law won't get to try this Canadian delicacy until he (and my sister and nephew) come to visit...

-t

No comments: