Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Vital Church Planting Conference

I've been at the Vital Church Planting Conference yesterday and today. My second year. Lots of great ideas and discussions and contacts. So much of the centre of gravity of church growth in the Diocese of Toronto is happening at this conference every year that I really don't understand why more people aren't there. This year the registration was around a 135. But I could think of lots of people who could really benefit from thinking about Mission and Evangelism who simple aren't here. 80% of success is just showing up, I think.

I'm too tired right now to tell any stories about the stuff I saw or the people I met. Suffice it to say that this conference is a great antidote to people feeling discouraged by the church's decline. There are lots of examples of the Holy Spirit doing crazy beautiful things all of the place. I'm pumped.

I know a lot of clergy that are really discouraged and burned out. one of the plenary speakers said that he thought the greatest obstacle to church revitalization was our own discouragement. So true. Yet it's not so hard to get out from under that dark cloud--simply go to some conferences like this one and hear some stories that remind you of what ministry is meant to be.

Life is good.

-t

No comments: