Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Maniples



Doug C. sent this to me. Ah, yes... The Maniple. Haven't worn one of those since my SMM days! The first time I saw one, shortly after graduating seminary, I had no idea what it was. My spiritual director was mock-appalled that I could make it through seminary and not know what a "maniple" is!

Now you will sometimes read or hear that maniples descend from a server's napkin and is therefore a sign of service. But actually it comes from ancient royal courts where scarves were emblems of authority. It's a good example of how liturgy will preserve things even when they become divorced from their original meaning or purpose. I'm not necessarily saying we should ditch such things, only that we ought to be honest about doing things for the sake of tradition and not necessarily because there is a good rational answer as to "why."

-t

2 comments:

Felicity Pickup said...

Still wondering how one would "tie one on" with one hand. Is that one of the sacristan's or acolyte's duties?

Tay Moss said...

The ones I've used are usually held in place with an elastic loop. But your point is well taken! -t