Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Super Bowl Sunday Recap...

Sunday started in the normal fashion. I got up early and took a long shower. Had breakfast (part of the "new way for Tay") and then went to church. I'm always the first one there on Sunday mornings. I unlock the building, tweak the arrangement of the chairs, set up the video camera to record the service, put on the first pot of coffee, start the communion bread thawing, put out the leaflets, etc., etc.

I wasn't exactly sure where I was going to go with the sermon until I started preaching it. Right away I could feel the energy and conviction welling up and I knew it was going to be a good one. Indeed, several people commented on it afterwards. I ended up preaching about some of the ways in which Authority operates in spiritual matters. I discussed the difference between relational authority and positional authority and how authority has changed in our current culture. Finally, I made a strong argument for the notion that the Gospel of Jesus ought to feel authoritative for us--it ought to make us a bit uncomfortable in the way that it is when the Doctor tells us we need to do something about high blood pressure or the Dentist tells us to floss more. Anyway, I was pleased. I'll post it shortly.

After church I did my usual post-church routines--putting away and tidying up various things. When that was done I headed home to prepare for our Annual Super Bowl party. I'm such an extrovert that these kinds of events really feed me, so I look forward to this party every year.

After changing clothes I met up with a buddy that took me in his truck to pick up the keg. Now, I didn't think we'd be able to handle a "Full Keg" with its 58.7 Litres (i.e. 124 Pints)! So instead I opted for a 30 Litre bad-boy that was still about 62 pints worth of golden goodness of the gods. I opted for Stella. I was surprised by how easy this whole process went--no fuss no muss. I get my deposit back when I return the keg and the pump. I put it on the back deck to stay cold. It was a big hit. Now I just have to finish it! Hard to know how much is left, actually, but I suspect I'm close to the bottom. I just hope it doesn't freeze in the cold weather.

Anyway, back to the party. Good attendance: a real mix of people including church folks, University connections, and then random people that Betsy and I know. They brought food and everyone had a great time. One of my favourite memories would be smoking fine cigars (a gift from a friend) on the back deck during half-time.

The game itself was, of course, fantastic. In the end we were all on our feet felling and screaming. What a game!

Cleanup was relatively easy. Monday was a day for being relaxed and doing as little as possible, though I did manage to do some laundry. Today it's back to work, though I had to cancel Trad Com (BCP Traditional Communion) because of the weather!

-t

No comments: