Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Giving Good Announcement...

I forgot to mention on Sunday's recap-post that I "gave good announcement" at the service. That is, my patter where I talk about upcoming events was particularly good on Sunday, which makes up for some of the Sundays that I found disappointing. Giving the announcements is a fine art that requires a very particular mindset. It's part sales-pitch, part sermon, part scout-troop-leader. The idea is to convey what's happening and to put those events into the context of ongoing parish life in a way that conveys enthusiasm and welcome. The idea is to give people the impression that they are missing out on something grand if they don't come to whatever events are happening in the week. I was pleased.

On Monday I did some errands. At Canadian Tire I ran into Theo Ipema, who asked whether this incident would be included in my blog (so of course it had to be after he said that). So it's worth saying something about blogging. I think that people of my generation don't expect privacy, but they do value openness (that's a quote from a CSI episode). I think it's also worth noting that we also want to participate in media as producers and not just consumers. Keeping a blog is a great way for me to work out ongoing thoughts and processes in a way that often provokes discussion and greater communication, rather than less.

Of course, there are a lot of limits about what I can write here. It's the nature of my vocation that I work with people, and most of what comes out of that can't be blogged about. Yet enough happens in the course of my days and weeks that I have plenty to think and write about.

After leaving Theo (and Canadian Tire), I went to William Sonoma to get some replacement dishes for our everyday set. We go through a lot of saucers now that we have two cats. Alas, they don't carry our pattern anymore, but suggested that I could probably find it online. Then I stopped by the car rental place to pick up an item I accidentally left in a rental car back in late August. Sure enough, the book on CD was on the top of the lost and found pile.

After that I went grocery shopping for the next few weeks. While there I ran into someone else I know, a long time parishioner of COTM. I was pleased that on this trip to the store I remembered to bring my reusable bags. These things are not only better for the environment, they are also simply superior bags for hauling groceries!

My last stop on the way home was the pet food store. We had been feeding the cats with Fancy Feast, but there are other cat foods that are supposedly better for the cats and around the same price. I went with the "Wellness" brand and bought a flat. I noted that it said, "human grade ingredients" and decided to try a spoonful of the stuff before giving it to our cats. It didn't taste great, but it didn't taste bad, either. It was actually kind of bland. I have no urge to have anymore, however.

Today will be busy. I have 56 e-mail messages to read. I also have a staff meeting this afternoon and lots of ongoing projects that require my attention.

-t

No comments: