Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Scattered Sunday

Sunday liturgy went fine today--though I was a bit bothered by the lack of integration between the various things we were trying to do. We did a piece around Remembrance Day (reading the names of the parish war dead), and we had the normal propers from the RCL, and Megan preached about liturgy as agreed--but where was the unity of these elements? Megan had the same post-service observation.

I was also a little disappointed with my version of announcements. I have a formula for handling announcements that is meant to be energetic and engaging and interesting. But there is a real art to this kind of spiel, and sometime I do a better job of making to all fit together than others. Alas! I think that I probably need to spend more time preparing for these announcements--they really are key for communicating with the congregation about what we are up to.

The best part of today was after the service meeting with the planning group for the Christmas Pageant. The ideas that came out were very creative, and we made excellent progress in our planning efforts. It's going to be a fabulous Pageant.

I think I should do some late nights at work this week. there a several projects that would benefit from some TLC. There is the Pageant script to work on... also a Power Point sermon for Sunday talking about liturgy and our plans for Advent. I also need to fix a loose connection in the sound system (a 5 minute job with a soldering iron). And I haven't done my PC Rebuild Project, either--that's important so that I can start posting video. Oh, and of course there is the COTM website to build. Hmm. No shortage of work in the kingdom building project. The thing is, it's hard to do these kinds of projects when I'm also occupied with all the phone calls and e-mails I deal with.

I'm not complaining; I'm really glad to have things to do. It would be terrible if I didn't know what to do and spent my time in busy work or simply researching what to do. In fact, both the Bishop, the Wardens, and many others told me that they really wanted me to try to build stuff, and not simply talk about it. So all this building feels like the right thing to be doing.

After the planning meeting Megan and I did a service at Belmont House (a local retirement home). That was fine--then it was home for Football and cats.

-t

3 comments:

G said...

In my anxiety to avoid the whole civil religion orgy of Remembrance Day, I headed off to St Martin-in-the-Fields for their Patronal. The Rev. Ms. Meeker was making her diaconal debut and was resplendent in a white dalmatic with red orphrey.

G said...

That should of course be Meek. I almost did that twice writing the damn report.

Tay Moss said...

Yeah, Alex is great. I ran into her at Wycliffe a few weeks back and she told me about her ordination to the Trans. Deac. Bp. Victoria Matthews likes to ordain people while in seminary like that, and I think it makes a lot of sense because it will give Alex the chance to actually function as a Deacon in a parish that knows what to do with one.
-t