Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Caribbean Wedding

Today I performed a marriage ceremony for a Caribbean couple from my congregation. This is my third wedding since coming to COTM last September. In that time I have had no funerals. In my two years at St. Mary Magdalene the proportion was very different: more funerals, less weddings. I'm not sure that's enough data to say much, but it's worth noting.

The wedding started 45 minutes late (the bride was late), which is to be expected, but is nonetheless nerve-wracking for everyone. I thought my sermon was fine and the ceremony was relatively smooth. Every wedding I do, I get better at it. The difference is subtle things, but it makes a difference. For instance, we didn't have enough chairs out. We should have anticipated that we would have 215+ people! Also, I found it difficult to manage both the leaflet and my BAS. Next time I'll photocopy those out and put them with my leaflet in the little binder I use in the service. There were other details, as well, but its the sort of stuff that makes more of a difference to the Presider and not anyone else.

The reception was fun. Lots of caribbean food. But Betsy and I had to leave early--I've got to manage my energy and time going into Sunday morning.

-t

No comments: