Friday, May 23, 2008

Toronto Parking Tickets

The City of Toronto is struggling financially, so enforcement of parking has escalated greatly in the last two years. Normally, I'm good at avoiding the dreaded yellow slips; I either pay the meter or dash in and out.

But today I stepped into a wicked one: $250 for parking in a "fire route." You see, when I parked on that quiet residential street (Balmoral) this afternoon to dash into the hardware store, I didn't realize I was only 50 yards from the fire station. The fact that I had simply pulled up behind someone else that had parked didn't matter, either. The whole curb between the fire station and Yonge Street is a "fire route." I guess they want the extra clearance for the trucks.

So there it was on my windshield when I came back from the store. Not a mere $25 or $35 like most Toronto parking tickets, but a full $250 clams. Ouch. Nor do I think I have any real way to dispute the ticket. The signage wasn't clear, but it was present. My only consolation is that the parking enforcement officer was catching others for the same crime. Sigh.

Betsy and I are really going to have to make some sacrifices if we want to go to Istanbul this year. That means, for instance, that I'm going to have to give up alcohol for a while. Not that I'm excessive, but I do enjoy a drink or two with dinner, following the custom of my tribe. And the evening drink is one of those unnecessary luxuries that makes a difference on our monthly budget. Sigh.

-t

2 comments:

Felicity Pickup said...

re "evening drink is one of those unnecessary luxuries that makes a difference on our monthly budget."

Yeah!! I keep trying to kid myself that it isn't (surely there must be some other expense doing that). But no, those pints with the pub supper seem to make a difference at month end. Let us know if your ride on-the-wagon did tip the fiscal balance!

Felicity Pickup said...
This comment has been removed by the author.