Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How to Motivate a Teenage Boy


This guy promised his teenage slacker son a reproduction Shelby 427 Cobra if he managed to get on the honor roll and stay there. The kid did, so the father bought a $45,000 kit and the two spent several weeks assembling the vehicle in their garage. The New York Times ran an article about their adventure, complete with audio interviews.

The idea of rewarding your kid for academic excellence has a certain amount of appeal to me. I'm sure it doesn't work for everybody, for those it does, it does! I also like the idea of a car as a father-son project. I have many fond memories of working with my dad to restore a 1962 Triumph TR-3B. Hopefully when Betsy and I have kids I'll be able to do the same thing with my sons or daughters.

-t

No comments: