Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ceiling Fan

Monday I installed a ceiling fan in Betsy's office. This is a very satisfying item to cross off the Honey-Do list. Installation was not straightforward as the electrical junction box in the ceiling was merely attached to the side of a joist rather than under it--it was never meant to carry the weight of a fan. So on the advice of a friend wise in such things I ended up screwing the mounting bracket for the fan into the joist a few inches off center from the junction box. That left a nasty looking hole in the ceiling. So next I used scissors to cut a piece of cardboard to fit the hole perfectly. I took that downstairs and traced the pattern onto a piece of thin scrap wood. I cut it with a handy scroll saw that Betsy gave me for my birthday a while back. Betsy happened to be painting something white, so I had her paint the patch to approximately match the ceiling. Voila! She has a fan in her office. After that it's time to crack open a beer and watch football.

-t

No comments: