Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Feeling Better

I'm definitely feeling better today. All that's left of my flu is the stuffy nose and congestion that has been with me for weeks now. The worst of it passed by Monday morning, so in the afternoon I made a run to Home Depot to buy some supplies for small carpentry project Betsy wanted me to do. Working with the wood, getting into the right shapes and fit together, was very satisfying. I do like creating things with my hands. My next project is going to repairing some dining room chairs that have gone wobbly.

I came to work today with plenty of energy. Good thing, too, as there was lots happening. For one thing, our electrician and his assistant were here and managed to complete the entire list of little projects I had assigned them. They fixed things like the exterior sign lights (which hadn't worked in almost a year) and the exterior lights themselves. They also fixed a number of other little problems here and there. In the process they found a few safety problems. I really like this electrician, he knows exactly what he's doing!

Then there is our new photocopier. Photocopiers are an essential piece of equipment for churches--no doubt. Our old lease ran out and so Canon has set up with a new lease and a new machine (an ImageRunner 3225). Not only will it cost us slightly less, but we have a brand new machine with lots of bells and whistles. The new machine even has scan-to-email functionality that allows us to instantly e-mail (or fax) material to an entire list of recipients. I'm enough of a geek to get really excited by stuff like that. I know, I know, that seems weird. But when the old copier would die you can't imagine the headaches around here!

Lots of e-mails and phone calls. Then a solid staff meeting in which we came up with several good new ideas for things like fundraising and evangelism. I know it's a good meeting when I have nearly half page of notes of things to do.

Now I've got the Annual General Meeting of the Daycare Board. Luckily I'm just the Vice President of the Board, so like Palin I can just look pretty and say things that appeal to the Base....

-t

No comments: