Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Clergy Appreciation Month

In case you live under a heathen rock and don't know the ways of the Lord, I'll inform you that October is Clergy Appreciation Month. Because G-D knows we don't get enough time in the spot light as it is. So when I found out that it's "CAM" (as some people in the "biz" call it) I Googled the concept. Among other things I found a very amusing (in the Christian Kitsch kind of way) Clergy Appreciation Month Planning Guide created by the folks at Focus on the Family. Here's one of my favorite suggestions for perking up your pastor:
Hold a people-pleasin’ pizza party. Plan an informal time of sharing and caring around lots and lots of pizza and pop. If your pastoral families love pizza, give them certificates to a local pizza parlor to last throughout the year.

Here's another...
Make banners of appreciation and display them throughout the church property. Distribute appreciation ribbons, buttons, stickers or T-shirts to every member of the congregation and wear them proudly throughout the month.

I think that if I showed up to COTM and everyone was wearing T-shirts with my face on them I would seriously freak out.

These are great. Here's another:
Present each of your pastors with a packet of personal service coupons. Have members of the congregation pledge to provide services for your pastoral families, such as lawn service, child care, car repairs or catered dinners.

I can just imagine calling my horrendously busy parishioners and asking them to mow my lawn for me....
Prepare a “Sunshine Jar” for each pastoral family. Fill a large decorative jar with notes containing favorite Scripture verses and/or encouragement to be read anytime a boost is needed.

Be careful not to put the "Sunshine Jar" next to the "Suicide Basket"--it'd be a horrible shame to reach into the wrong container in a moment of need...

-t

3 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Tay
Everyone needs a little appreciation once in a while--even Priests!
I love and appreciate you!!!
Happy Pastor Appreciation Month
Love, Mom

Chuck said...

Me too,

Love,
Chuck

Tay Moss said...

Thanks, guys!
-t