Friday, October 12, 2007

Vermont

I used to come to Vermont once or twice a year. My Aunt and Uncle loved nothing more that to host us in their gorgeous home. But since I went to seminary and moved to Block Island and later New Haven the trips became less frequent. In fact, the last time I was in Stowe was about 5 years ago (for my cousin Pete's wedding). And now I've returned on the unhappy ocassion of my Aunt's death.

It's fall here--just past the peak days for seeing the leaves change colour. Most of them are falling to ground laid heavy by the cold, misty rain we've been having since before I arrived on Thursday. There are still a few trees left with pretty red and yellow canopies.

The house is as I remember it. Since I was last here my Aunt got a new, very fancy stove installed in the kitchen (she did love cooking). By the phone my mother found a file folder with her name on it. Inside were momentos and correspondence including the programs and invitations from my wedding and ordinations, along with the wedding stuff from my sisters. It shows you how she liked to keep track of stuff like that.

My Uncle is doing as well as could be expected. He misses her dearly already. His instinct is to do stuff that needs doing, so we spent some time today doing necessary errands in town. Still, the spirit in the Johnson house is subdued and overcast (like the weather). My Aunt's remains are resting in her greenhouse with a good view of the yard. We'll give her a good send-off tomorrow at the churches.

I'm traveling back to Toronto after the community service in the afternoon. It's about an eight hour drive back to the GTA--I'm looking forward to having some time alone with my thoughts.

-t

No comments: