Tuesday, October 23, 2007

St. Gregory of Nyssa Movie

I'm very interested in the style of worship developed at St. Gregory of Nyssa in San Francisco. For those of you completely unfamiliar with it, here's a 4 minute video of their Easter Vigil service:

Of course, I've got some criticisms of this model of doing church, but identifying those points of disagreement can be just as fruitful as adapting some of the very cool stuff that they do. What I love most about St. Greg's is the shear enthusiasm and vibrancy of their worship. They love color and drama and aren't afraid to use a bold palette.

But then, how far can we push the liturgy before it becomes un-Anglican? The funny thing is that St. Gregory's Liturgy strikes me as very "Episcopalian" for reasons I can't identify. I'm confident that I could pick it out of a lineup of liturgies as the Episcopal one. Hmmm.

-t

No comments: