Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Epiphany at Trinity

Yesterday evening I said Mass at Trinity College. It was the Feast of the Epiphany, so I was very pleased to have a chance to Celebrate Mass that day. The school has a new Chaplain, Andrea Budgey, whom I've know for a few years. Before the service, the Sacristan, Andrea, the organist (Christopher Ku) and I went over the service and decided what liturgical options to exercise. Since it was a Principal Feast we did most stuff, including the Gloria and the Creed. I also elected to sing the Preface.

Saying Mass in a seminary chapel like this is a lot of fun for a priest like me that still has some high-church tendencies that don't get exercised much in my own parish. There is a glee that comes from being able to discuss which manual gestures with people that care about such things. I'm not complaining about my own parish--I don't want them to care about how many times I make the sign of the cross during the Canon of the Mass (so many other things are more important), but sometimes it's a nice change. It's like being married to someone who is allergic to peanuts and going out and eating a nice Thai dish with a peanut sauce--you don't feel deprived at home, but the change of pace can be refreshing now and again.

Anyway, the Mass went extremely well. The student giving the sermon did a good job and the servers were excellent and everything went perfect from a liturgical purist point of view. Even more delightful, however, was perceiving the presence of the Holy Spirit as I said the prayers and distributed communion. Sometimes I really love my life! I know, I know, I'm a church nerd. So be it!

-t

2 comments:

Felicity Pickup said...

re "sign of the cross during the Canon of the Mass"

For my taste, you can do what you want if you're celebrating with your back to me. If I can see it, then ditch the fussy hand movements!

But nice to hear that God the Holy Spirit hasn't given up on TRINS chapel.

G said...

Sorry not to have been there. I am however pleased to report that the next day the Humphrys Chaplain sang Eucharistic Prayer 3 in its entirety at St John's Convent.