Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Fine Cuban



Last night we had some friends over to watch football and enjoy each other's company. One couple was just back from vacation in Cuba. Naturally, they bought some fine Cuban Cigars and shared them with us. Being on the deck in the frigid cold smoking them and talking about our wives (who declined to join us) and jobs and the prospect of starting families was one of the most satisfying conversations I've had for a long time. Equally great was rejoining our ladies by the fireplace and sipping Elmer T. Lee (a Christmas gift from a certain friend). I'm so grateful that God has seen fit to give me so many blessings. I try to be equally grateful when times are tough, but it goes against human nature.

Anyway the question is whether smoking a cigar can be a "spiritual" experience. I think the answer is obviously "yes." A rabbi once said that when we get to heaven God will ask one question: "Did you enjoy my creation?" I certainly will have an answer ready.

Incidentally, it's been many, many years since I've smoked a cigar. Like Bourbon, Scotch, or Fellini movies, it's an acquired taste. And even though I enjoyed the cigar last night even more than I expected, I won't be buying them for myself anytime soon! It's a special occasions kind of thing.

Also striking is how uber-masculine this all was. I thought of a line from a Pablo Neruda poem, "The smell of barber shops makes me cry out loud." Having been in a barber shop recently (all straight razors and barbercide jars that look like they belong in an antique shop), I know what he means. It's an extraordinary comfort sometimes to relax into conventional gender expectations and just be a guy! I felt that way when the Barber was teasing me about not having much hair to cut and I certainly felt that way on my porch with the Cohibas last night.

I'm sure there is a sermon in here somewhere. I'll be thinking about that night for a while.

-t

No comments: