Thursday, January 1, 2009

Tay in Hawai'i - 1992

Continuing our Hawai'i posts, here are two pictures Meg uploaded of me in Hawai'i in 1992.
Just look at those chiseled calves!


My first game bird--damn thing was almost bigger than me!


The story of the turkey goes like this. Wild turkeys (among other edible beasts) roams the mountains in Hawai'i. They have no predators but breed quickly, so if they wander onto your property they are pretty much fair game. I was taking a nap when my dad woke me up and gave me the rifle. I took the shot from about 50 feet and killed the beast (not a very challenging shot--I must admit). Luckily, the rifle scope was not properly calibrated, so the bullet killed the bird cleanly but didn't make a complete mess of it. Dad helped me strip off the feathers and skin and we put in on the BBQ for supper.

I know, not everyone who reads this blog will understand why this was a great experience for me, but I do have a clean conscience eating meat from the grocery store knowing that I have no ethical qualms about killing animals for food. In fact, I'm much more ethically troubled by what happens on corporate feed lots and giant chicken operations than hunting fields.

-t

No comments: