Sunday, January 4, 2009

Girl from the North Country

Betsy and I have been lying low and alternating between "chillaxing" and being sick. First she was sick. Then I was sick. Now she is sick again. Nor are we alone--it seems like there are more colds going around this season than last. No idea why--hard to blame the economy.

Right now I'm wrapping up church and looking forward to the NFL Playoffs. Today when I preached I used a call-and-response refrain: "Love is the answer" with the congregation. It seemed to work pretty well. I'd like to integrate some other new techniques into my preaching skill set, as well. It's important to keep developing as a preacher.

Ever heard the song "Girl from the North Country"? It was originally written by Bob Dylan and was inspired by the folk songs he explored while visiting England in the 1960's. The version I've been listening to is by Sam Bush. My brother-in-law, Bob, put in on my iPod. It's one of those songs that stay in your head for a long time. When I've been walking in the driving snow it seems to fit very well. Nostalgia for the "North Country." I doubt some of my friends who actually live North of Toronto are so thrilled with the storming snow flakes!

When I listen to this song I think of one of two places: the fields around our house in Kansas and Virginia. Kansas because of the way the winter winds would blow the snow across the flat, flat fields. You could see, literally, for miles. Vastness only matched by the oceans. Virginia because of ex-girlfriends, which this song is also about. 'Nough on that subject!



The above video has a version of the song with some really amazing Mandolin work. Sam Bush really is an amazingly talented musician.

Girl From The North Country

Well, if you're travelin' in the north country fair,
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline,
Remember me to one who lives there.
She once was a true love of mine.

Well, if you go when the snowflakes storm,
When the rivers freeze and summer ends,
Please see if she's wearing a coat so warm,
To keep her from the howlin' winds.

Please see for me if her hair hangs long,
If it rolls and flows all down her breast.
Please see for me if her hair hangs long,
That's the way I remember her best.

I'm a-wonderin' if she remembers me at all.
Many times I've often prayed
In the darkness of my night,
In the brightness of my day.

So if you're travelin' in the north country fair,
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline,
Remember me to one who lives there.
She once was a true love of mine. (Bob Dylan)


-t

No comments: