Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Year, New Body?

So I've started going back to the gym this week. It was a good workout yesterday: upper-body resistance training and then half-an-hour of cardio. I just have to keep my motivation up to keep going. I find music helps--especially rap! I think I need to join a class of some sort. I'm strongly considering Ju Jitsu--that would be a very appropriate choice for a ninja priest. I used to take martial training quite seriously and was pretty good at Karate (Ishin Ryu was my style). It's nice have areas of life where one can be unapologetically aggressive!

I also went to the Dentist for the first time in many years. I know, I know, I'm a bad person for not going sooner. But who wants to go to the Dentist? They said I didn't have as much tartar as they expected (so I guess I'm doing a descent job brushing). And my gums were in pretty good shape, too. They found one small cavity they are going to fill Monday.

The big issue, however, is that I still have three missing teeth leftover from dental work I had done way back in High School. At the time we didn't have money for implants and didn't like the idea of destroying healthy teeth to put in a conventional bridge. So instead we opted for a "Maryland" Bridge. But of the four bridges only one has survived to the present day. I gave up having the others re-glued every few months.

So I still have these gaps. The ideal solution would be implants--but the cost is astronomical. We'd be looking at $15,000 when all is said and done. The other option is a conventional bridge (still expensive) and the third option would be some kind of denture appliance. These are a hassle, but would keep the teeth around the gaps from shifting in. Realistically, we probably won't be able to afford to have my mouth fixed properly until Betsy graduates and gets a job! Sigh.

But I suppose the good news is that I really like the dentist we found, Dr. Brown. He's a nice guy and his office is very thought out and polished. Everyone, including the hygienist, was kind and competent. Nor did I feel like I was entering a confessional booth, as sometimes happens in shame-based dental care offices.

The contacts are still working out for me, as well. After about a week with a trial pair I think I'm ready to make the change permanent. I'm getting better about sticking them into my eyes, though I'll be glad when I've mastered the technique completely.

I wouldn't call any of this a New Year's Resolution--but it is true that the New Year does make a convenient time to make changes like these. I just hope I can maintain motivation around these convictions!

-t

1 comment:

Felicity Pickup said...

Nice to hear that someone else has a similar dental/economic history. I've heard that warning before about the teeth shifting with age (in my early 20s). Hasn't happened yet (40-odd years later).