Wednesday, March 18, 2009

JavaScript

I feel like I accomplished something today: check out the beta of my new, totally customized movie viewer for the COTM website. It took me about half a day (plus some preliminary research last night), but I managed to create a JavaScript application embedded into the web page that essentially loads and displays an XML play list. It's even smart enough to use one thumbnail image to represent the video in the playlist and another as the preview in the viewing window. It's also smart enough to make my name a link to the biographies page.

This player (based on the JW FLV Viewer) can manage FLV (Flash Video), MP4, MP3, and AAC. It can also easily "pull" videos from YouTube. I have the option of hosting the video files on YouTube, the COTM server, or the Mosso Cloud server (my favourite as it is both dirt cheap and lightening fast).

Because it's dynamically generating this material from a single playlist, it is much simpler to do updates than my previous, manual methods. I'm pleased.

-t

No comments: