Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Man Walks Down the Street with a Katana...

When I was walking down the street today I saw a man coming towards me with a Katana wrapped in a cloth in his left hand. Now, it was the way he was holding it--like one holds a Japanese Sword--that caught my attention. Looking closer I confirmed that it was, indeed, a Katana wrapped in the sort of carrying cloth you something see to keep the scabbard from getting scratched, etc. It's possible it was just a Bokken (wooden practice sword) except then why the very nice-quality cloth covering? I don't think he realized that the Katana was perfectly obvious to anyone who knows anything about martial arts. As he passed close I said, "Nice Katana," but he ignored me. Probably because he was listening to his iPod.

Speaking of Katana--check out the new computer wall paper I found. I've been using it lately as my desktop wallpaper. I find it... calming...

If you don't recognize it, this is what a Katana looks like when it's been disassembled. The Katana is one of the finest pieces of craft, workmanship, and technology even conceived. No living master can accomplish what was done at the height of the Japanese medieval age.

So when I saw someone walking down the street with this legendary weapon I did a double-take. Hopefully he was just on his way to the Dojo at the end of the block...

-t

No comments: