Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Frustration

Today has been a frustrating day. Lots of obstructions and problems in the whole move process. Part of what has me really annoyed is that I've asked for help from two or three key people--the sort that probably think of themselves as helpful and "there for you"--and they haven't come through. Nor do they even return my phone calls! I'm sure that when I next run into them they will apologize and explain reasonably the things that kept them from helping me now. But in the mean time Betsy and I really struggling with this move.

In retrospect I should have insisted on having this week off from SMM, despite how hard that makes things on the church. Suffering should be spread around--not simply piled onto the shoulders of the clergy! Sigh.

Just to top off my disappointment and sense of frustration that people aren't doing what they said they would be available to do, we found out today that the TV we though was included with the rent on our new place is, in fact, not included. It had been scratched off the final copy of the rent agreement by the landlord before we signed it. Neither the Realtor nor ourselves noticed it--probably because it was a fax of a faxed copy and we were eager to sign it and have a place to move. Compounding the problem, I ordered a cable package based on the belief that I would have a nice TV to watch it on, it was supposed to be set up today. Now I'm going to have to cancel that (our little TV is unworthy of cable). so that's one more thing to do.

Oh, and I now I have to rush off to take care of a pastoral care situation that requires my attention. Ahhhgggg!

-t

2 comments:

Jo said...

Hi there, just wanted to leave a note to let you know I've been here and am thinking of you.

Have you ever heard a story of a move that was NOT fraught with frustrations? Even when it goes well, things go wrong... It's just a really stressful transition, lots of work to do and never enough time to do it - and it's also so personal, in some ways, that I think we become more vulnerable to frustration.

I wish you and Bets all the luck in the world, and I send lots of love from NYC.

Tay Moss said...

Thanks. And how was your move?
-t