Saturday, August 11, 2007

Toronto Scenes

Here are few pics of my Toronto...

Betsy and I bought hot peppers this morning from
the St. Laurence Street Market

Here's Betsy on her bike (a classic Schwinn that was
my mother's) in front of the Bata Shoe Museum

Here is a Chartres-style labyrinth someone created
next to Honest Ed's


I find the labyrinth particularly intriguing. It's the sort of guerrilla spiritual art that I think is on the cusp of something important. Call it raids on the secular. I think I'm going to try some similar experiments near COTM once I arrive. Perhaps chalk art on the sidewalk out front inviting families in with a message that projects the image that we are spiritually engaged with the lives of children (which is quite true of COTM). Or maybe some kind of outdoor devotional stations? We'll see.

A paranoid schizophrenic I know asked me to bring her a book--perhaps Sophocles if I had any. So I graped a volume off my book shelf at home and gave it to this mentally ill acquaintance without much thought except that I was giving her what she asked for. She looked down at the title and said, "You brought me Oedipus Rex? Why did you have to bring me that??!" In a flash I remembered all her daddy issues and the paranoia and laughed internally at the stupidity of my decision. A comically bad choice. But the recipient of my gift appreciated the humor of the moment, too, and we laughed about it as we decided that she should skip Oedipus Rex and read Antigone, instead. Life is funny.

-t

No comments: