Saturday, August 25, 2007

Good Byes....

I'm in a weird space. Trying to prepare for tomorrow, my last Sunday at SMM, and feeling woefully behind in that regard. This has been a week full of obstructions. One thing seems to be broken after another, and it has been difficult to get much done besides simply staying afloat. But, of course, my SMM to-do list has NOTHING to do with the task of leaving the place, and that's a truth that has yet to sink in. It began to hit me while I was preaching this morning. I was trying to talk about saying goodbye and suddenly found that I had stirred up more emotions than I had anticipated.

So obviously I have some processing to do. I've thought that perhaps it would be helpful to list off some of the things that I've accomplished here....

  1. Preached better than average sermons
  2. Celebrated exactly 402 Masses (assisted at another 100 or so?)
  3. Learned to sing
  4. Mastered the SMM ceremonial
  5. Created a computer network
  6. Recruited/trained Brin
  7. Completely rebuilt the website
  8. Switched Bulletin process to PC/digital
  9. Created the SMM Calendar in In-Design
  10. Redid various SMM liturgical materials (Vestry prayer book, etc)
  11. Created multiple fliers and postcards
  12. Pushed through the replacement of the copier
  13. Rewired the nave speakers
  14. Did extensive work on the Sound System
  15. Advocated/lead various reforms to 9.30 liturgies
  16. Did a few adult-ed programs
  17. Was very involved in the Parkdale Ministry Development Council
  18. Participated in Momentum
  19. Shepherded the Confirmation Class
  20. Gave spiritual direction
  21. Gave pastoral counseling
  22. Visited parishioners
  23. Reformed various office procedures and methods
  24. Started recording/posting sermons and music from services
  25. Recorded several concerts
  26. Produced a CD
  27. Co-coordinated the Cathedral "U2charist"
  28. Got Harold to use a computer
  29. Etc., etc.


And yet the list of things that are not complete yet is full, too. I still have to get the stupid photo directory and the story board project out the door. They are pretty far along, but will require some effort to complete. Sigh.

Well, now is a time to think of what I've done and feel good about the gift it was to the congregation as well as what I received from them all. It's been a kind of crazy two years! I think the next two years are going to be totally different!

-t

No comments: