Sunday, August 5, 2007

Sunday

Continuing my recent habit of posting interesting religious art...

Still From Bill Viola's Video Installation
Catherine's Room

What's interesting about Catherine's Room is that it seems to explore the life of an ascetic. We watch as Catherine does yoga, studies, prays, and sleeps in her cell. That reminds me, I really need to read a book on my shelf called The Contemplative Pastor before I start at Messiah. I'll put in on the list.

Also need to reread Edwin Friedman's chapter on leaving and entering congregational systems in Generation to Generation. I just reviewed it a few minutes ago and was so impressed that I think I'm going to make a copy and give it to the Wardens at COTM. Among other things he notes that it's important to control one's own emotional reactivity (as opposed to emotional responsiveness) while allowing it in others. It also important to be non-anxiously involved in the transition process and to stay in touch after separation (but continue to de-triangle). It's good advice from one of the foremost thinkers in this kind of thing.

Edwin Friedman

Church went well today. I sang a pretty good Eucharistic Prayer 4 all the way through (including the words of institution, etc.). Sermon was okay at 8 and 9.30, superb at 11. Usually I peak at 9.30, so that was a little different.

Now I need to go meet with my Realtor. I'll do another post tomorrow or Tuesday!

-t

2 comments:

G said...

Wow, I've never actually encountered the use of the Star Wars Liturgy. ;)

Tay Moss said...

Lol, that's what we called it in seminary; "...the vast expanse of interstellar space..." etc. It's very close to the American 1979 BCP's prayer C--which was drafted by Howard Galley (Author of _Ceremonies of the Eucharist). Not sure how it got from the ECUSA BCP to the BAS, but there were a few mods along the way. It's very Eastern in character and lot of fun to use.... -t