Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sailing

Betsy and I spent my day off yesterday sailing in the Inner Harbour with Alison, one of the SMM parishioners. She has a membership in a sailing club and was nice enough to take us out on a 15-foot Albacore. It was Betsy's first time, though I've been sailing a number of times over the years.

The wind was from the north, which makes for some strange and uneven patterns after it winds through sky scrapers and thermal affects in the city. At times we were barely moving and then a big gust would come up and two or three of would be scrambling up the gunwale to keep the boat from going over. We saw one boat in the distance go over and capsize. Alison, however, did a remarkable bit of work at the helm to compensate for the shifts in wind speed and direction, and it certainly made things interesting.

Of course, I wasn't going to take my Canon DSLR on the dinghy, so you all are going to have to settle for some photos I took on land...
Me next to an Albacore

Our skipper, Alison

Toronto skyline as seen from the Islands


Of course, one can say many things about the theology of sailing, but I'll save those for another post. Sometimes a good sail is just a good sail...

-t

No comments: