Thursday, August 9, 2007

Joshua leadership

Bishop Johnson, in his charge to Synod a few months ago, said the following:


If you need permission to start inviting people to your church, if you need permission to establish another service or to plant a church, you have got the permission now.
I found the whole speech to be an inspirational call to "be strong and courageous," as God told Joshua in the Bible Book that bears his name. I'm taking the people from Messiah seriously when they told me, "We are in attack mode," and I know that this mood is in alignment with Diocesan inclinations, as well. They want to see us do bold and courageous things for the sake of the Gospel. Perfect. I feel like I've been training for this for years. I suppose Joshua felt the same way, having been the XO (second in command) for 40 years under Moses. Actually, Joshua is an interesting leadership example much admired by the likes of Teddy Roosevelt and Douglas MacArthur.

It was a busy, 11-hour day for me today. Managed to make incremental progress on a multitude of fronts. Even managed to do some of those "extra" tasks that brighten people's days. For example, I burned a CD of the Women's Schola's concert a few weeks ago complete with a pretty label and gave a copy to each of the performers. It's not a superb quality CD, but it's certainly "good enough" for our amateur purposes. The bulk of my afternoon was spent doing pastoral care. I was pleased with how that session went, though I can't say much more than that for obvious confidentiality reasons.

There is a really interesting idea brewing in Megan's head for involving the children in a service at COTM on the 16th of Sept. I added a few touches and we are both getting excited by it. I'll say more when the idea has more momentum. It is exciting to already be talking about COTM stuff, though I must commit to memory Friedman's warning not to focus too much on new initiatives when beginning a new cure. Prioritize relationship!

-t

No comments: