Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ataturk's Revenge

Friday evening before dinner I was starting to feel unwell--by the morning I had a full-blown case of "Atatürk's Revenge." I was a sick puppy. Nonetheless, I attempted to push through a grueling day of sight seeing that included a 3 km trek through a river valley and exploring a huge underground city with many steps and low ceilings. By the time we got back to town I was really struggling and in no shape to take an 8 hour over night bus trip. So we called our travel agent who arranged this part of the trip and changed our plans to add a night here in Goreme. I went to the pharmacy and they said it sounded like a classic case of an intestinal bug. Even without seeing a doctor (which was an option) they could give me antibiotics (Cipro) and something for the symptoms, etc. I took the drugs.

Back at the hotel I had a rough night. I'm glad I didn't try to do the night bus in my condition! Today we are taking it easy and will attempt the bus again tonight. It shifts everything back by a day, except that we are going to make up the time by taking a plane from Ephesus back to Istanbul rather than the bus (1 hour flight vs. over-night bus).

So... tonight we take the bus to Pamukkale. We'll have time to take a shower and relax a bit and then see some sights. That evening a short bus ride to a town near Ephesus--go to bed. In the morning a full day of seeing Ephesus and then taking a flight back to Istanbul. There we will settle into a flat where we will spend the rest of our days in Turkey. I'm looking forward to that!

I think I'm over the worst of my illness. Now I'm just going to take a nap (or at least lie down)...

-t

No comments: